Friday, February 6, 2009

Message Board

I was feeling somewhat crafty this evening and thought that I would gather some supplies to make a message board and, lucky you, gets to see how I did it. So feel free to make your own just make sure you let me know so that I can see your cute creations!

Here are the supplies that I used:
  • 16 x 20 Artist Canvas
  • 19 x 23 or at least enough fabric to cover the front and wrap around a couple inches in case you use a larger canvas.
  • Ribbon - I just measured it out at the store (I really have no idea how much I used, at least 2 1/2 yards.)
Now you might wonder why I would make a pink and black message board when I have an almost-2-years-old little boy...Well, one day I WILL have a girl (fingers crossed) and I always keep cute girlie fabric and accessories on hand. This particular message board is probably going to be for someone who will be welcoming a little girl into her house within the next couple months.
First, I ironed out the fabric since it had creases in it.
Next, I put the fabric down on the counter, wrong side up so that the right side of the fabric would face outward then centered the canvas on top of the fabric. Stretch the fabric around the canvas and staple in place into the canvas' wood frame.
Once all the fabric is all stretched and stapled, I also stretched and stapled my ribbon.
Here is the finished product. As you can see, I used two different sizes of black ribbon. I still want to add buttons but I don't currently have any that would coordinate. Once I do add buttons I will either sew them on through the fabric and canvas OR push brads through and then glue buttons onto the brads. I guess we'll see what type of buttons I get.
Lookie, lookie! I am going to start my indoor greenhouse soon. This will be the first year that I have a place to have a garden. I can't wait!!

3 comments:

Martha said...

the message board looks great! I almost bought the same fabric for my cork board! cute! :) Martha

me and him said...

look at you go! it's so cute. i wish i was that someone having a girl in the next couple months so it could be gifted to me!! maybe you can just keep and i'll cross my fingers for ya too! and what are you doing....planting a garden in your house?????

Jenae said...

So cute Lace, I'm with ya on fingers crossed on having a girl! Boys are a blast but everyone needs a girl too! I love the mirror too!! Cute, cute!